Burford is a small Medieval town, considered to be the gateway to the Cotswolds and is popular with visitors from around the world.
John Wesley first visited Burford on 3rd. October,1739. The present Methodist Church is a former Georgian mansion house built around 1740 and is a listed grade 2* building, as are the iron railings to the front. The Methodists purchased the building at an auction in 1848. Consequently the interior partitions were removed to open up a worship area with a raised platform at the front and a central ships' deck pulpit. It opened for services in 1849.
One hundred years later the interior of the church was transformed as we see it today. Thomas Rayson, an architect from Oxford, took his inspiration from Christopher Wren's design for St. Stephen's Walbrook, London. The interior features an internal dome supported by four stone pillars. The communion table takes centre place with the pulpit and lectern on either side. The organ was built by Harrison's of Durham.
The small gathered congregation warmly welcomes visitors, and coffee is served at the close of service. All services are at 11.00am. on Sundays.
Unfortunately there is no disabled access but a loop system is installed.
Street parking, otherwise use the free public car park which is signed to the right near the bottom of the Hill.
Being in a central position, the Church, vestry and basement are popular venues for local residents to hire.